Phoenix has a highly experienced team of professionals that have over 150 years of combined experience in the financial markets.
- Jeffrey Peskind Founder and Chief Investment Officer
- Mr. Peskind founded Phoenix in 2003. He is the Chief Investment Officer of the firm, leading all aspects of portfolio management. Prior to founding Phoenix, Mr. Peskind helped found and manage the White Ridge Asset Management firm which managed over $500 million in high yield and distressed assets. Prior to White Ridge, Mr. Peskind was co-head of Global Special Situations at Banc of America Securities LLC where he was a salesman in the High Yield group and traded distressed public securities. Before Banc of America, Mr. Peskind was High Yield sales manager at PaineWebber. Prior to Paine Webber, he was a High Yield salesman at Morgan Stanley from 1987 to 1994. Mr. Peskind began his career at Harvard Management, where he was an equity analyst and also a fixed income analyst. Mr. Peskind earned his B.A. degree in Finance from the University of Illinois in 1983 and an MBA in Finance from the University of Wisconsin in 1985.
- Michael Donoghue President
- Mr. Donoghue joined Phoenix in April 2006 as Managing Director and President of the Firm. Mr. Donoghue has over 25 years of experience in the high yield and distressed corporate credit markets and serves on the Investment Committee at Phoenix. On a day to day basis he manages Phoenix's business development and investor relations activities. Prior to joining Phoenix, Mr. Donoghue worked for 19 years at Morgan Stanley & Co where he was named a Managing Director in 1996. He was Morgan's top producing salesman in their High Yield Bond Business for many years. He managed the High Yield Sales team and coordinated the syndication of financings for over 150 High Yield companies. Subsequently he managed the Distribution business for all Corporate Credit, including High Yield, Distressed Debt, Bank Loan trading, and Investment Grade bonds. Mr. Donoghue served on Morgan's Global Fixed Income Management Committee. He earned a B.A. in Economics from Dartmouth College and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
- Robert Youree, CFA Chief Financial Officer
- Mr. Youree joined Phoenix in March 2005 as Chief Financial Officer and oversees the firm's Finance, Operations, and Compliance. Prior to Phoenix, Mr. Youree co-founded and was President of Silver Leaf Partners, LLC, a broker-dealer originally focused on trade execution, capital introduction, and prime brokerage services. Prior to Silver Leaf, Mr. Youree was Chief Operating Officer of Orbitex Management and Orbitex Hedge Fund Advisors, where he coordinated operations of a $1 billion mutual fund complex and $90 million long-short equity hedge fund. He has also served as Director of Research for Fairfax Capital Management, and as a trader and equity analyst for Sage Management in Washington, DC. Mr. Youree holds the CFA designation and received his B.A. from the University of Virginia.
- Timothy Bepler, CFA Senior Research Analyst, Co-Portfolio Manager
- Mr. Bepler joined Phoenix in January 2011 as Senior Vice President of Risk Management. As part of the investment team, Mr. Bepler serves as the firm's Risk Manager, monitoring market risk and overseeing the portfolio hedges on a daily basis. Tim has over 21 years of experience on Wall Street as a Portfolio Manager/Analyst. Prior to joining Phoenix, from 2003 to 2010 Mr. Bepler was President of Kinsale Capital where he managed Long/Short portfolios and provided hedge funds with investment research and scenario hedging analysis. From 1999 to 2001, Mr. Bepler worked with Orbitex Management where he was the Portfolio Manager for a $300MM Healthcare Portfolio. He was a Senior Healthcare Analyst for Merrill Lynch from 1996 to 1999 and for Credit Suisse (Swiss American Securities) from 1994 to 1996. Mr. Bepler holds the CFA designation and has an MBA in Finance from New York University.
- Dixon Yee Portfolio Manager, Trader
- Mr. Yee joined Phoenix in July 2012 as a Trader and Senior Research analyst. He is responsible for day-to-day management of the firm's lower volatility product, working in conjunction with the firm's fundamental credit analysts. Mr. Yee has over 21 years of experience on Wall Street. Prior to joining Phoenix, from 2004 to 2012, he was a Portfolio Manager for the Credit Opportunities Fund at Basso Capital Management. From 1999 to 2004, Mr. Yee was a Director at Banc of America Securities, where he managed proprietary capital for the White Ridge unit and traded high yield bonds for the dealer desk. Mr. Yee worked at Credit Suisse First Boston from 1995 to 1999 as a Director in research covering the retail, supermarket and textile sectors. From 1993 to 1995 he was a Vice President of research at Chase Securities and from 1991 to 1993 he was a Vice President at Oppenheimer & Co. Mr. Yee holds an MBA from Dartmouth College as well as a BS in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Robert Konefal Director of Research
- Mr. Konefal joined Phoenix in August 2007. He currently heads the research team in addition to covering gaming, media, finance, and travel. Prior to joining Phoenix, he was co-head of research and an analyst covering media and telecom companies at Imperial Capital, a distressed debt brokerage firm. Prior to Imperial, he was the Managing Director in charge of global telecom, media, and technology ratings across high grade and high yield at Moody's Investor's Service, the rating agency. Prior to Moody's, he was a lending officer at The Bank of New York, first in their loan workout group and then in their media and telecom levered loan originations group. Mr. Konefal received his M.B.A from New York University and his A.B. from Princeton University.
- Stefan Lingmerth Senior Research Analyst, Co-Portfolio Manager
- Mr. Lingmerth joined Phoenix in May, 2006 as a Senior Research Analyst. As a part of the investment team, he covers the home builders, paper and forest products, food & agriculture, rental services and building product sectors. Prior to working at Phoenix, Mr. Lingmerth worked at Eidesis Capital in New York from 2001 to 2005 where he covered companies in the health care, homebuilding, cable television, and paper and forest products sectors. Mr. Lingmerth received a B.A. from Halmstad University in Sweden and also a B.A. from Lincolnshire & Humberside University in the United Kingdom.
- Alex Duncan, CFA Senior Research Analyst
- Mr. Duncan joined Phoenix in December 2012 as a Senior Research Analyst. Prior to that, from 2003 to 2012, Mr. Duncan was a Managing Director at Par-Four Investment Management focusing on long and short principal investments across the high yield, leveraged loan and distressed markets. Mr. Duncan covered the chemicals, healthcare, building products, cable, media, theaters, and metals and mining sectors. Mr. Duncan’s responsibilities also included representation on bankruptcy court creditor committees and the negotiation of “workouts” and restructurings. Prior to Par-Four, Mr. Duncan was employed by Citigroup Alternative Investments as a Research Analyst where his responsibilities included financial analysis, due diligence, and application of valuation methodology in the selection of principal investments in par, stressed, and distressed leveraged loans and high yield bonds. Prior to joining Citigroup, Mr. Duncan was employed by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company as an Analyst in the Leveraged Finance Unit, responsible for credit analysis of a variety of public and private financings and investments. Mr. Duncan is a CFA Charterholder and is a member of the New York Society of Security Analysts' Alternative Investments Committee. Mr. Duncan graduated with Honors from Drew University in 1999, where he received a B.A. in Economics.
- Mike Beck, CFA Senior Research Analyst
- Mr. Beck was previously a Research Analyst for seven years at GoldenTree Asset Management, LP, where he focused on identifying long and short investment opportunities in leveraged loans, high yield, and equity across a variety of sectors, including Retail, Consumer, Food, Grocery, and Entertainment. From 2004 to 2007, Mr. Beck was an Assistant Vice President at GE Capital in the Global Media & Communications group, where he structured and executed over $1 billion in debt and equity investments. Prior to GE, he was at Fortis Capital where he invested in loans, mezzanine and sale-lease backs across the Media & Telecom, Shipping, and Offshore industries. Mr. Beck received a B.S. in Finance, cum laude, from Miami University (OH) and holds the CFA designation.
- Aloke Agarwal Senior Research Analyst
- Mr. Agarwal joined Phoenix in July 2015 as a Senior Research Analyst. Prior to working at Phoenix, Mr. Agarwal was a Director at Nomura where he focused on identifying long and short investment opportunities in high yield, distressed, and leveraged loans across various sectors including Paper, Chemicals, Aerospace, and Energy. Prior to his experience at Nomura, he worked in credit research at Verition Group LLC and Citadel Investment Group (collectively, from 2006 to 2014) where he recommended long and short investment opportunities in credit default swaps and convertibles in various sectors including Financials, Homebuilders, Transportation and Biotechnology. Mr. Agarwal received his Bachelor of Science in Economics with concentrations in Finance and Insurance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Jackson Logie Research Analyst
- Mr. Logie joined Phoenix as an analyst in August of 2016. Prior to Phoenix, Mr. Logie worked as an investment banking analyst at Imperial Capital where he worked on a range of debt, equity and mergers and acquisitions transactions across a variety of industries. Mr. Logie received a BA in economics from Yale University.
Business Development and Investor Relations:
- Paul Lucas Director, Business Development and Investor Relations
- Mr. Lucas joined Phoenix in November 2009 as Vice President of Business Development and Investor Relations. He is responsible for developing new client relationships at the firm as well as maintaining existing ones. Prior to joining Phoenix, Mr. Lucas spent four years at Schultze Asset Management, LLC, a distressed securities hedge fund manager that grew from approximately $200M to $750M during his tenure. At Schultze, Mr. Lucas was a Vice President responsible for all aspects of business development and investor relations for the firm's prospective and current clients. He marketed the firm's products globally to the entire spectrum of institutional hedge fund investors. Mr. Lucas holds a B.A. in Finance from Manhattanville College.
- John Mills Senior Vice President, Business Development and Investor Relations
- Mr. Mills joined Phoenix in April of 2014 as a Senior Vice President of Marketing & Investor Relations. Prior to working at Phoenix, Mr. Mills was Director of Marketing and Investor Relations for Broadfin Capital, responsible for all aspects of marketing and client relations as the firm grew from $70M to $1Bln. Before Broadfin, Mr. Mills was the founding member of the marketing team at GSC Group, a $25bln credit manager, in addition to other senior roles in the alternative investment management industry. Prior to this Mr. Mills, was a Partner at Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. responsible for the firm's underwriting business, Executive Vice President of Nesbitt Burns responsible for institutional equity research sales and trading in the US, and Director of Equity Research at Bankers Trust after eleven years in institutional equity sales at PaineWebber.
- Erin Hubbard Vice President, Business Development and Investor Relations
- Ms. Hubbard joined Phoenix as Senior Associate of Business Development and Investor Relations in July 2012. She is responsible for growing Phoenix's client base as well as sustaining the firm's current investor relationships. Prior to joining Phoenix, Ms. Hubbard was a Marketing and Business Development Associate at Ridgeway Capital Group, LLC. At Ridgeway, she was responsible for marketing the firm's various hedge funds and private equity funds to a wide range of investors. Ms. Hubbard holds an MBA from New York University's Stern School of Business and received her B.A. from the University of Virginia.
- Andrew Fair Senior Associate, Business Development and Investor Relations
- Mr. Fair joined Phoenix in November 2010 as an Operations Associate. In 2014 he joined the firm’s Business Development and Investor Relations department. Mr. Fair holds a B.A. in Economics from Loyola University Maryland.
Operations, Legal, and Compliance:
- Lance Friedler General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
- Mr. Friedler joined Phoenix in June 2016 as General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer. In this role, he oversees the firm’s legal and compliance matters. Prior to joining Phoenix, Mr. Friedler was a Partner at Sadis & Goldberg where he counseled investment managers, commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisors on structuring and forming US and non-US investment funds, commodity pools and separately managed accounts. Mr. Friedler also prepared and negotiated various types of agreements, including seed capital agreements and joint venture agreements. Mr Friedler also regularly advised investment managers, commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisors on registration and ongoing compliance issues with the SEC, CFTC, NFA and FINRA. Prior to joining Sadis & Goldberg, Mr. Friedler was a Partner at McCarter & English, where he represented numerous private investment funds and counseled investment advisers. Mr. Friedler holds a J.D. degree, cum laude, from New York Law School and a B.S. from Oneonta State College.
- Tyler Defibaugh Director of Operations
- Mr. Defibaugh joined Phoenix in October 2014 as Director of Operations. He oversees the firm's portfolio and trading operations in addition to overseeing the firm's technology infrastructure. Prior to joining Phoenix, Mr. Defibaugh was Chief Operating Officer of Silver Leaf Partners, LLC, where he managed the trading and operations of a broker-dealer that provides trade execution, prime brokerage services, and marketing services to the institutional community. Before Silver Leaf, Mr. Defibaugh was Head Trader at Orbitex Management, LLC and Monument Advisors, LLC. Mr. Defibaugh received his B.A. from Shippensburg University.
- Robert Beck Vice President, Operations
- Mr. Beck joined Phoenix in July 2007 as Vice President of Operations. He manages all aspects of portfolio operations, accounting and administration and assists in maintaining the firm's compliance program. Prior to joining Phoenix, Mr. Beck was Vice President of Operations for Silver Leaf Partners, LLC, a NASD broker-dealer focused on trade execution, capital introduction, and prime brokerage services to the hedge fund community. Prior to Silver Leaf, Mr. Beck held various operations positions for Highbridge Capital Management, LLC and Nebo Management, LLC. Mr. Beck holds a B.M. from Manhattan School of Music.
- Susan Bowen Vice President, Client Services
- Ms. Bowen joined Phoenix in April 2010. She handles all aspects of client services, including responding to investor inquiries, producing investor reports, and maintaining account information. She also serves as the firm's office manager, maintains the firm's Human Resources records, and assists in the fund accounting process. Prior to joining Phoenix, Ms. Bowen spent three years at Schultze Asset Management, LLC, where she was responsible for all aspects of client services. Prior to Schultze, Ms. Bowen was the Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Ginsburg Development Companies, LLC (2005 to 2007). Ms. Bowen holds a B.A. from Manhattanville College.
- Jerry Wong Senior Operations Associate
- Mr. Wong joined Phoenix in July 2014 as a Senior Operations Associate. Prior to joining Phoenix, from 2003 to 2014, Mr. Wong was the Head of Operations for Eidesis Capital LLC where he was responsible for the middle and back office. Before Eidesis, Mr. Wong was a Vice President, Fixed Income Analyst at Bear Stearns Asset Management for six years. Prior to BSAM, Mr. Wong was an Assistant Section Head of the Portfolio Auditing Department at BEA Associates. Mr. Wong received his B.S. in Finance and Economics, Cum Laude from New York University.
- Ryan Benincasa Operations Associate
- Mr. Benincasa joined Phoenix in February 2013 as an Operations Associate. His responsibilities include portfolio operations, accounting and administration. He also assists in client services, including maintaining client documents and databases. Prior to Phoenix, Mr. Benincasa worked in the Operations and Investor Relations departments at Tudor Investment Corporation. Mr. Benincasa holds a B.A. from the University of Virginia, where he played varsity lacrosse and was a member of the 2011 NCAA National Championship team.
- Patricia Horton Operations Associate
- Ms. Horton joined Phoenix in October 2013 as Operations Associate. Her responsibilities include general office management and administration, as well as assisting all areas of the firm. Prior to joining Phoenix, Ms. Horton was employed by Michael Page International where she was quickly promoted from Office Coordinator to Human Resources Coordinator in 2012. Ms. Horton holds a B.A. from Curry College.